Saturday, May 10, 2008

I pass yet another milestone

On April 29, I passed another milestone in life. My age is still a delicate subject with me... depending who I am talking to at the time.

On one hand, I am pleased to have lived so long and still feel so vibrant in many ways (despite my health situation), but when/if I am discussing age with a member of the opposite sex (particularly one with the possible potential of becoming my next soulmate) I dread her reaction to finding out how ancient I am!

Why do women in general base their opinion of a guy on their age? Mentally, I'm on a par with the average 40 - 45 year old and, apart from arthritis affected areas (stiff in most joints), I am still in good shape physically (even my doctor says this), but tell a woman your age and you're immediately classified as being 'over the hill'! I don't want to be judged by my age!!!

My birthday was celebrated on Sunday, April 27 with a reunion of members of my old cabaret/dance band, the Impalas, together with members of my original social club, first formed in the early 60's. It was a good day, with over 100 friends and guests turning up to share a day of festivity with me and even I was still "revving" at 11 p.m. as the final guests left after singing and dancing the day away from 1.30 p.m. when the activity started.

Since then I have been kept busy sending out "thank yous" and photographs taken during the day to many of those who attended. I was intending this to be my final celebratory 'milestone', but - as in past years - several people have started to ask "when is the next one". If I DO have another one I intend to request "no birthday cards or cakes which indicate my age, please".

No comments: